Tuesday, January 26, 2010

January

This month I-

- Decided what I was going to do with my life. For the next year anyway.

-Made new friends.

-Took a meditative breathing class that made me cry because I didn't realize how much I hold back, even just holding back breathing. I felt clearheaded and happy after, I will be perusing this more as a means of dealing with the anxiety/depression that can bog me down.

-Read three books
-"All Families Are Psychotic" by Douglas Coupland
-"The Virgin Suicides" by Jeffrey Eugenides
-"Rage Against the Meshugenah" by Danny Evans

All three were great. Douglas Coupland, as usual, made me want to give up all other plans I made, buy a laptop and work on a book. "The Virgin Suicides" is probably one of the most beautifully written books I've read in a long time. It almost reads like a poem. I'm in the process of reading it a second time, just because it's so spellbinding. I HIGHLY recommend it. Danny Evan's memoir of battling depression was both honest and funny.

-Saw a couple great movies
-Funny People (I was actually very surprised with this one. I kind of expected blatant comedy due the cast, but it actually dealt with a lot of emotion, relationship conundrums, and life questions and had a real life ending which is always a huge plus for me).
- (500) Days of Summer. I admit I am very late on the bandwagon with this flick, but I did love it. I related a lot with both of the lead characters which is pretty rare, and it was a movie I put on my "Time to Buy" list.
- Notorious. Which made me appreciate the Notorious BIG a lot more. I never thought I'd actually tear up during that movie, but alas, my motherhood weepiness got the best of me.
- Taking Woodstock. I'm a bit mixed on this one, but it has Ang Lee's beautiful cinematography and Demetri Martin and hippies, so generally I dug it.

Finally saw Avatar after much prompting from everybody around us. It was pretty good, but Greg and I kept whispering to each other and stifling giggles because we watch Mystery Science Theater way too much. I also kept my glasses and am now using then as faux reading specs-

Because I can.

- Jack became obsessed with the drums on our Guitar Hero-


-Decided for my 22nd birthday what I'll be doing for my next tattoo and I'm so excited I can't sit still.

Hints-

Just counting down the days.

- Have started cooking more. It only took 21 years.

- Have been countlessly inspired, charmed and eager for more days in which to explore, grow and learn. A first in a long time. Breaking the stagnancy.

That is all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great month!

My husband and I love Mystery Science Theater. We're awful, because we holler at our son not to talk during TV and movies, but we'll do that all the time.

Glad to have found your blog, as a fellow Arizona mother!

Amanda said...

Thanks Kim!

It's always nice to see a new face around here, especially one with such lovely pictures of our Arizona skies!

Totally with you on the MST talkin'. I do it almost all the time now!

Maggie May said...

i LOVED the Virgin Suicides! such a good writer. and i have anxiety too...i have this great book Natural Approach to Panic Attacks and it's awesome, really helped me.

Amanda said...

Thanks for the recommendation Maggie! I will check it out!