Friday, April 3, 2009

Summer, summer, summertime...

I suppose it's technically "spring" in the Old Pueblo, but when you wake up to 64 degree temperatures outside and a sun that just keeps on keeping on, you tend to think "summer."

I bought Jack some new swim trunks yesterday, and although we're waiting until the move to buy a little pool for him, I can't help but want to frolic in sprinklers and drink lemonade on our porch anyway. This is odd behavior for me, as I usually avoid the sun, heat and the consiquental redness both bring. I suppose I just enjoy life more these days.

I want to explore and show Jack the world. I want to pick ladybugs off of bushes, watch them crawl up on the tip of my finger and make wishes when they fly off. I want to lick raspberry flavored popsicles and watch cotton giraffes in the sky. I want the smell of sunscreen and long afternoons. Straw hats and sunglasses.

Last year at this time I was in the throughs of new motherhood. Learning the ropes and holeing up in our apartment because it was so hot. There was nothing I wanted more than A.C., sleep, and the 40 lbs post-baby to fall off as fast as the sweat from my brow did. This year I plan on making things different. I want the summers I had as a kid, and what more of a reason to do it now that I HAVE a kid!

This has been one of the most fun parts of parenthood. Dusting off the memories you had as a kid and recycling them into something new for your child. I am beyond thankful for this. For my parents for making my childhood so great with so little. I hope Jack will be able to say the same one day.

Until then, we'll keep searching for ladybugs and staring at the sky.

No comments: