Friday, January 16, 2009

Yo Gabba Gabba what?!

When one becomes a momz, you're subjected to a lot of stuff you previously never really gave a hoot about. Bottles, diapers, ointments, teething, endless defication, I never really gave these things a second thought and simply let my gut take the reigns. However, I've always been somewhat concerned about what my kid watches, reads, and plays with.

Some of my fondest childhood memories include the things I read, watched and loved. There are days when I long for 'Eureka's Castle' or 'David the Gnome' to be on for Jacks viewing pleasure. Hell, I'll even take 'Gula Gula Island' (which was more of my little brother Mitchells time). I want to go back and read all the books in my 6 year old book shelf. Everything I can remember about the multimedia and literature I consumed fills me with glee followed by instant melancholy by the fact that they just don't show that kind of stuff anymore.

Today, as I was sitting on the living room floor, feeding Jack his baby cereal, a little show came on and Jack and I turned our heads in the direction of whatever this fun and exciting sound was.

It was 'Yo Gabba Gabba'.

Apparently Yo Gabba Gabba (which henceforth shall be known as 'YGG' on this blog) has been around for over a year, but since I have an aversion to overly cheesy childrens programing (the only 'kiddie' music I've let Jack listen to thus far has been Baby Einstein Classical music when he goes to bed, otherwise he's partial to the Stones and anything with power chords and high velocity drumming....we listen to Van Halen a lot in the car), I've only discovered it today. I can recall seeing character toys at Target a few times and being drawn to them, but never buying them since I'd never seen the show. I'm no posuer.



The 'Not Ready For Naptime Players'.

But today, today was a delightful introduction into the YGG world. We were greeted by DJ Lance Rock (who reminded me of the guitar player in 'The Life Aquatic' who sung Bowie songs in Portugese) and his broad of colorful monster friends. We were instantly hooked with his sweet beats and funky style. As the show unfolded we learned a new beat by guest star Biz Markie, enjoyed a energetic rock band for kids called 'Supernova', and learned a valuable lesson on how its not always good to throw things because you could hit somebody and hurt them. All of this set to music that sort of sounded as though Bloc Party dropped some acid and decided they should make a childrens show.

We laughed, we cried, we now have some sweet beat boxin' skills. Right now I'm laying out some cardboard and lacing up our Adidas' and we're going to work on our break dancing.

Thank you Nick Jr., for bringing us a show that I would've dug as a kid and a show that my son digs now. We can be down ass bitches again. Fo sho.

No comments: